Sunday, September 29, 2013

In Vino Veritas

The old Latin saying "in vino veritas" means that in wine, there is truth. In other words, alcohol has a tendency to loosen up people's tongues (among other things). For some reason, a few stiff drinks can make people more open and honest than they would otherwise be. When people's inhibitions are lowered, apparently they are less afraid of being truthful. Or less capable of lying. In fact, the Roman historian Tacitus observed that members of Germanic tribes always drank during tribal councils, believing that no one could pull off a lie when they were drunk. Our congress should try that approach.

"Screw it... *hiccup* ya dude I'm spying on you,"

From a Christian perspective, the principle of in vino veritas is all well and good, but we know what it's like to have our guard down even without drinking. Coming into the presence of God in prayer and worship has that effect on you. Before God you're an open book with no shame at all. There are a few awesome things which come from the lack of inhibitions before God.

One is the ability to confess our sins. I've certainly heard plenty of confessions from drunk people. Most of them just confess "I'm drunk" but hey, that's something. When people have shame and guilt weighing on their hearts, sometimes a few beers will get them to spill it to whoever is around (often a bartender) as a way to process their feelings. Prayer has this function in the Christian life. Everybody does things they're not proud of. Coming before the ultimate source of good in the universe has a tendency to draw these things out. Unlike a bartender, however, God actually has the power to forgive us for all of the things we do wrong. Also, God won't judge us. This gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "no shame." It's also nice that God never makes last call. 
You can confess here too
Another awesome thing about losing your inhibitions before God is that you don't feel shame for expressing your joy in ridiculous ways. In 2 Samuel, we hear an account of the mighty King David "dancing (half-naked) before God with all his might." I have seen inebriated people trying to dance like that but it is not pretty. Unfortunately, the same substance that makes you want to dance with all your might also takes away a lot of your might. God, on the other hand, gives you even more strength. That doesn't mean that people won't look at you funny. In fact, David got hated on for his dancing. This lady Michal saw him frolicking about and called him vulgar and unkingly. David's response was wicked sassy and awesome: "I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." In other words, I don't care what you say, I'm loving life. In case you were wondering, the answer is yes, the Bible does endorse vigorous, half-naked dancing as a legitimate form of worship.

worship?
Perhaps the greatest benefit of being honest with God is how God helps you get honest with yourself. Sitting in prayer with God and trying to make an important personal decision is quite an experience. All of the b.s. you tell yourself gets cut away. You can't be in denial when you're talking to God. I remember when I first had a crush on my girlfriend I would tell myself that I shouldn't do anything about it because it's not worth it. In reality, I just didn't want to be in love because then I would have to be vulnerable. This became clear to me in prayer because I could not kid myself about the true reason behind my excuses with God right there watching.

This is another reason that God is better than booze. Intoxication does not make you honest with yourself. For example "I totally have the presence of mind to do a handstand on that keg."

This week's drink is for the person who is not afraid to have undignified tastes in drinks.

The Candy

Shake 1 shot sour apple vodka, 1/4 shot tequila, and 1/2 shot triple sec over ice. Pour into chilled glass. Top with a dash of sour apple schnapps, just enough to change the color. Enjoy the buzz and the cavities.






No comments:

Post a Comment