Sunday, May 26, 2013

You Give Love a Bad Name

The Westboro Baptist Church has got to go. Attention may be the last thing that they need, but the fact of the matter is that as long as they exist, Christians will be judged by their actions. Their very existence is an argument against the legitimacy of the Church. I have had so many heartbreaking conversations with people who think that Christians are hateful, polarizing, and extreme. The love of Christ gets a bad name. I have the answer though. When I am a pastor, I will sue the Westboro Baptist Church. Not for hate speech or anything, but for copyright infringement and slander.
 
After all, if they want to use the word "church" to refer to themselves, then they must act like a part of the Church. The Church's mission, according to the Bible, is to make disciples of all nations and to proclaim the good news of God's great love. Saying that God hates soldiers/gays/America/the world is not consistent with this goal. Therefore, the Westboro Baptist Church has no right to call itself a Church.

As a future pastor I have a lot of stake in what the name "church" means to people. In a way, I am a businessman selling a product. The Westboro Baptist Church slanders the reputation of my business by calling itself a Church. I wouldn't getting away with selling people cups of mud and calling myself Starbucks, the WBC shouldn't get away with misrepresenting all Churches. I think that the Roman Catholics, the Lutherans, Methodists, Southern Baptists, and others would all agree and would join my cause. That's a lot of theological and legal clout. We've all lost potential "customers" because the WBC has slandered us. It's time to make it right.

Preacher ready to fight
Of course, adversarial solutions to conflicts like this are a bad idea. But man, don't you just want to crush people sometimes? Now I see why some people go out drinking, just looking for a fight. It seems like it would be so satisfying. But doing violence to these people would not fix all of my problems and end all of the homophobia, hate, and un-grace in my own Church. Hating them won't make me less of a sinner. But wouldn't it be sweet if it was that easy? Wouldn't it be nice if all of the people that we despise could do all of the sinning and hating and God-smearing for us so that we wouldn't have to worry about being imperfect ourselves?

I will never apologize for the WBC and groups like them. I still think that they are preaching the opposite of the gospel. They might be the anti-Christ. And they are DEFINITELY hurting business for other Churches. Scripture teaches that anytime you see someone doing something wrong, you're probably doing the same thing yourself and you'd better stop (Matt. 7:1-5). So you know what, thank you Westboro Baptist Church for helping me to see my own failings.

The only thing to do against groups like the WBC is to love the world even harder. Hug your friends closer, make people feel precious, call your family more often, smile at more strangers, advocate for the helpless, and be with the lonely. Be Jesus to everyone. If the WBC isn't going to do it, it's up to us.

Finally, always make sure to go out and love the world in style. 
And now, for your viewing pleasure, "BadassPreacher.jpg"
Today's drink is a shot. I don't usually do shots, but I love Bon Jovi and I must keep with my theme.
 
 Shot through the Heart
 
Ingredients: appx. 1 oz. Cafe Patron (coffee/tequila liqueur), appx. 1 oz. Irish Creme, cacao nibs.

Shake Patron liqueur vigorously over ice such that it is really cold and has ice flecks in it. Pour Irish creme gently over the back of a spoon into the glass. It should float on top of the Patron liqueur. Garnish with cacao nibs. It's a little big to shoot unless you're a tough guy/gal. You will feel the warmth go straight to your heart where Jesus can enjoy it.
Shot through the heart (and you're to blame)



No comments:

Post a Comment