Sunday, September 01, 2013

Give me a Break

Everybody needs a vacation every once in a while. I just got back from some wonderful time with dear friends and family and I feel refreshed and empowered by a better sense of who I am. We partied together and prayed together and all of it was done in a different context than normal. That is the point of vacation, to do things that you love but to do them away from where you normally are. I got to wondering while I was away whether or not Jesus ever went on vacation.


Not really. Jesus pretty much hustled for his entire life. He got a lot of work done in only three years of ministry. He healed and taught thousands of people, he started the most important cultural movement ever, and he saved all of humanity. This should not be encouragement to workaholics, skimping on vacation will not guarantee results like these.

Jesus did, however, take time to set himself apart. The closest thing to a vacation that Jesus ever took was to go into the wilderness for 40 days, eat nothing, and pray constantly. This is a far cry from Disney Land. It was an important moment, however, when Jesus stopped his ministry and took time to care for his own spirit and to prepare for what was about to happen (he was getting ready to get crucified). When I'm on vacation, I eat a lot. I mean A LOT, of food that is mostly unhealthy. I also drink a lot more booze than normal. Jesus' vacation looks very different from this but I believe that the spirit was the same.
The Church, Isle au Haut, ME

He emerged from the desert ready to face his fate, ready to go back to work. It was not simply about recharging his batteries though. He also strengthened his sense of purpose. He searched himself and, I'm guessing, asked God what was up. It is this self-awareness and sense of mission that comes from rest and removal that makes a vacation successful.

I am not going on vacation to the desert to starve myself. I will stick with going to Maine, eating french toast, drinking bourbon, and going to new Churches. It's not that hardcore, but it is still time away from the usual, time with myself to situate my life in the context of God's plan and get plugged in to what God is doing.

This week's drink is a relaxing vacationy drink with bourbon. I field tested it and it works.

Practice What you Peach
Ingredients: bourbon, Goya peach nectar

Fill glass with ice and pour 1 shot bourbon over it. Top with peach nectar, adjust amount depending on desired strength.



1 comment:

  1. Love it! Also, you should read Jim Crace's book about Jesus in the desert, Quarantine.

    ReplyDelete